1806: Samuel Church built a paper mill on the north bank of the Housatonic River, which produced 200 pounds of handmade paper a day. Producing book, bond and letter, note papers.
1822: Charles Owen and Thomas Hurlbut assumed ownership and management of Church’s mill. Together, they set their sights on winning a reputation for being manufacturers of the finest paper in America.
1836: Enlarged and re-equipped the mill with their first stack of calenders and a ruling machine. The mill later became known as Hurlbut Paper Company.
1848: The railroad reaches South Lee adding another mode of transportation other than stage coach and oxen teams.