Early 1860’s: Thomas Hurlbut’s two sons assumed ownership of the Hurlbut Mill.
1872: The brothers embarked on a bold expansion and modernization that made the mill “one of the largest in the country”.
1883: Fire engulfed the mill and completely destroyed the building. But with determination and dedication was rebuilt on the same site.
1899: The Hurlbut Paper Company became an operating unit of the American Writing Paper Company, Inc.
1927: Paul Zuhlke purchases the mill and returns to an independently owned enterprise, and started producing photographic paper.
1936 – 1940: Hurlbut saturating papers were introduced to the plastics industry. Gone now are the book, bond and ledger papers.
1950’s: Saturating papers became the bulk of the production of the Hurlbut mills.